Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:45:03 -0400
Ron -
   I thought the point was clear, but I will clarify anyway:
[RW} > I can see how this group would collapse into jurisdictional disputes.
> Who gets to define the medical ontology - drug companies, medical
> equipment companies, HMOs, hospitals, WHO, etc.?
   Any member of the project who is interested.  Membership in any working
group should be fully open - no one can feel 'left out' of anything.
   You also seem to focus on a lot of specialized concepts, but that is not
the purpose of developing a common foundation ontology.  A foundation
ontology will contain representations of the most basic primitive concepts
with which all the specialized concepts can be created as combinations of
the basic concepts.  That is the path to interoperability - agree on a basic
set of concepts with which you can specify all the specialized concepts of
interest to you, and in that manner everyone can define the specialized
concepts however they consider it appropriate, using the primitives that are
agreed on.  By using the same set of primitives it does not matter how much
people disagree on the logical representation of any specialized term; it is
the logical representation that specifies the intended meaning, and
different representations of a specific term by different groups are not the
same concept in a merged ontology of two specialized groups: they will have
different names (different namespace prefixes for those terms) and different
logical structure.  The relations between the two - similarities and
differences -  will be immediately evident from a comparison of the logical
structures.  If the logical structures are different, the terms mean
different things.  If they are intended to represent the same instances,
then the two different definitions constitute different theories of that
type of entity, but this does not create a logical contradiction within the
merged ontology, because the different theories are isolated within
different contexts in the merged ontology.  The two systems can still
communicate, but in communication the fact that they have different theories
will have to be taken into account, and the differences will need to be
isolated in order for comparisons to be made.  If this sounds complicated,
it is only what is absolutely necessary for accurate communication: the
automated systems are *forced* to do what people *should* do when
communicating - precisely define terms and account for different
assumptions.  It is also a mechanism for recognizing different assumptions,
and can lead to one or both disagreeing groups to change their definitions.    (01)

  Ontologies that are developed separately cannot be merged into a single
consistent ontology without an effort comparable to the effort of building a
new similar ontology from scratch.  This is a consequence of the need for
the merging agent (person or machine) to actually **understand** the
meanings of the terms to be merged.  Machines can't, so it is necessarily a
labor-intensive task for one or more experts.  From observing ontology work
for over a dozen years, it is abundantly clear to me that waiting for a
common ontology to emerge from multiple specialized ontologies is hopeless
unless a properly funded task finds the common basic terms and relates the
different ontologies through those terms.  Funding a common foundation
ontology is unavoidable, and the only question in my mind is how many
trillions of dollars will be wasted before some agency finally takes that
insignificant financial risk.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.