Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:22:05 -0400
Patrick Cassidy wrote:
> John,
>   Concerning your point:
>
>> The best designs are developed by small groups.  After they have
>> proved their value on at least one important application, a committee
>> can evaluate them, note missing or inadequate features, and polish up
>> the details.
>>

>    This may well be true of foundation ontologies, though a foundation
> ontology is different enough from other artifacts to give one doubts about
> any analogies.  Even if it is true, it is not inconsistent with development
> by a large group (50-100 participants), since each part of the ontology
> beyond the top level or two is likely to be the focus of a small subgroup,
> and the group as a whole would serve the function of the "committee" to be
> sure that the work of the subgroups integrates with everything else and can
> handle the applications of interest to the whole group.

I can see how this group would collapse into jurisdictional disputes.
Who gets to define the medical ontology - drug companies, medical
equipment companies, HMOs, hospitals, WHO, etc.?
Software engineering belongs to who?
What about process control - Equipment suppliers, system integrators,
engineers?
Transportation - carriers, travel agents, shipping companies, governments?
Homeland Security - can you imagine the FBI adopting an ontology set up
by Scotland Yard or the KGB or the Chinese Army let alone the CIA or
Pentagon? If the FBI went along what would be the resistance from state
and municipal police?    (01)

How is the funding to be divided up? So much per term and relationship
defined?    (02)

What about the funding agencies/companies - do they get a final say?
What if the ontology does not meet their needs, will they continue to
fund it once they realize that their needs are not being met?    (03)

What are the language(computer and human) choices for expressing ontologies?
Who is responsible for translation between computer languages and
between national languages?    (04)

My ontology for process control or homeland security could (and should)
be very different from someone else's since we will view objects and
relationships differently and will need different results.    (05)

I think that ontologies will be developed as small packages and
application designers will have pick the namespaces that they require
for their needs.    (06)

Sometimes this will result in new merged ontologies being published.
Some ontologies will be abandoned as better ones appear.    (07)

The focus should be on identifying ontologies as they emerge, commenting
on them and providing peer review to improve quality.
The development of tools to support this process and the use of the
ontologies as they arise is a much better place for funding to be focused.    (08)

Ron    (09)