Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Wittgenstein and the pictures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:58:51 -0400
Sean,    (01)

The main point I was trying to make is that the verb "repudiate"
was too strong.  I certainly agree that W's later ideas are
profoundly different from his earlier ones in many ways.    (02)

I thought it was significant that W. went through an intermediate
stage (in the Philosophical Remarks of 1929-30) in which he used
the term Satzsystem in a way that resembles the language games.
To avoid getting into arguments over terminology, I'll just cite
the following book, which inspired some of my ideas on the topic.    (03)

    Shanker, Stuart G. (1987) _Wittgenstein and the Turning Point
    in the Philosophy of Mathematics_, SUNY Press, Albany.    (04)