[ontolog-forum] Fw: Wittgenstein and the pictures

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:12:32 +0100
John,
at the risk of hubris, I am going to disagree with you, for two
reasons.    (01)

1) If a narrative which starts with two opposing points of view, it is
usually fair to assume that these are to be contrasted. In the opening
of Philosophical Investigations, the words-picture-reality is contrasted
with no-pictures-in-the-head. You quote Wittgenstein as saying  he said
that the new ideas "could be seen in the right light only by contrast
with and against the background of my old way of thinking." which
suggests to me something stronger than simply putting his old ideas in a
more general framework.    (02)

2) For me, changing from "pictures-in-the-head" to "forms of life" was a
duck-rabbit moment - when a seeing-it-this-way suddenly becomes
seeing-it-as-something-else. (Ironically enough, I was on my way
<i>to</i> the Logie Baird pub.) With language, the problem of changing
perspective is more difficult, because - as your notes on conceptual
graphs illustrate - it is possible to use language as a system for
modelling (for making pictures). However, this is an extension of how we
use language, and comes after classification of forms of life. I'd be
interested to see how conceptual graphs can be used to define
differential criteria - that is, rather than state that three things are
actually different, use a graph to define how to tell three things apart
- say the difference between a spade, a shovel and a hoe.    (03)

Also, my use of the term "pattern recognition" was probably ill-advised,
since it "comes with baggage". I was thinking, for example, of the way
one can lay down different patterns of electrodes on a Surface Acoustic
Wave device, to enable it to preferentially detect certain types of
signal. For lots of interesting signals, the response is approximately a
sine(x)/x curve, and you recognise a signal when it passes a threshold.
In this case I'm doubtful that equating thresholding with classification
is helpful, even though both provide a binary output.    (04)