[ontolog-forum] Standardization Processes (Was Semantic Web shortcomings

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:43:09 -0400
Ron, Pat --

I can't just resist repeating the quote that "the nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from".

Seriously though, if we follow Ron's scenario for standardization, it must be very early days for browsers.  Consider the heroic efforts that go into cross-browser scripting of complex UIs.  Some of us wish that IE would get "swept away" by Firefox, but it seems that some dot-gov areas have actually decided that the only permissible browser is a particular version of IE.

                              Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Patrick Cassidy wrote:
> Ron,
>   Concerning one of your points:
> [RW] >
>
>> In general, I think that the academic side should have only limited
>> responsibility for the filling up of the ontologies. This is the role
>> of the IBMs, Suns, General Motors, Pentagon, Artifact Softwares, etc. Once
>> the research community decides on a good architecture to represent the
>> reality of a situation or set of entities, it is up to those who have a
>> business or economic reason care about this should pay to have the
>> details added.
>>

>    It is important to distinguish the *Foundation ontology*, which I believe
> should contain all the concept representations needed to create (by
> combination) representations of any specialized concept, and the specialized
> ontologies that are used in specific applications.  The former can be used
> to enable interoperability, and are more useful as they gain more users; the
> latter can be as idiosyncratic and individual as the application requires.
>    For the foundation ontology, the academic community is more likely to
> have useful ideas than any commercial organization driven by short-term and
> specialized needs.
>    Foundation ontologies are likely to be less ambiguous and therefore more
> useful if they include multiple example instances of the entities that they
> represent.  This would require at least some degree of "filling up".

My understanding is that most of the "best" standards have come about
through a consensus between the major commercial players with the active
(frequently funded) participation of the academic community.
I am not sure that all of the commercial interest in standards building
can be termed as "short-term".

My own feeling about a Foundation ontology is that, like any standard,
it needs widespread acceptance and usage in the commercial world to
warrant acceptance by a standards body.

The construction of a "standard" and the acceptance of a "standard" is a
long process and often many are proposed before one is generally accepted.
I am old enough to recall using many "networking standards" that had
large followings (2780/3780, DecNet, SNA, DARPANET, Novell, etc.)
before being swept away by TCP/IP. It took about 30 years and many
academic and commercial proposals that looked like winners died slow and
agonizing deaths. Their deaths paved the way for the Internet.

I suspect that the same will be true of  "foundation ontologies". Many
will be proposed and a few will be accepted. We may be luckier in this
case since the Internet, the open source movement and forums like this,
will likely speed up the process.

Ron