Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Semantic Web shortcomings [wasRe: ANN: GoodRelat

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:45:34 -0400
Sean,
  It's hard for me to imagine why a *basic* data model (5000-1000 elements)
would cost that much.  Do you have any references that describe the history
of the project, how it was constructed, and with a cost tag on each phase?
I have a feeling that a lot more than just construction of the basic model
is included in that number.  Cyc has about 600 person-years, which should
not be over $60 million, and a lot of that was specialized, well outside the
boundaries of the foundation ontology.
  The five million dollar cost is the cost of demonstrating agreement (not
necessarily universal) on the most basic 2000 elements, which would
demonstrate the feasibility and utility of extending the ontology to a full
foundation ontology, and providing the proposal how to proceed.  To include
several demonstration applications and a usable natural-language interface
(converting definitions in a controlled vocabulary to the logical form, and
finding the nearest existing element(s) to the proposed new element, I am
estimating at another 10 to 20 million.    (01)

  A great deal depends on how one plans to proceed.  After 13 years of
discussion about "upper ontologies" and large already-existing inventories
of logically-defined basic concepts from the current most well-known ones, I
think we can devise a process that is a lot more efficient than starting
from scratch.    (02)

  Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.