Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:29:50 -0400
John,
   I think we are talking about different things:

> First of all, you are assuming that something that is impossible for
> the much narrower language of arithmetic could be accomplished for
> the vastly larger and more complex natural languages.

   A foundation ontology of the kind I envision will provide a set of
elements that allow specifying the meanings of more specific ontology
elements people use in applications.  These "specifications of meaning" only
need to be sufficiently detailed to clearly differentiate each element from
the other and allow computers to calculate the inferences that are relevant
for the applications.
   I have no idea what you think is impossible for arithmetic, but lots of
people have been using arithmetic for very practical applications for
millennia and if we can get a foundation ontology that works as well for
database interoperability we will be very far ahead of where we are now.
The foundation ontology is intended to serve a practical task, not to
satisfy some philosophical curiosity.
   Yes, few of the meaning specifications in an ontology will be closed-form
definitions.  I don't expect that will be necessary for the purpose.
   Cyc might very well serve as the starting point for an open project, but
in order to serve the purpose as a common foundation ontology, it needs to
gather input from a much wider community, and be controlled by that
community, not by Cycorp.  It remains to be seen whether the Cyc foundation
will evolve in that direction.  Their blog does not suggest an active user
group.  For a project to develop a foundation ontology as a conceptual
analog of the Longman defining vocabulary, I would expect the OpenCyc to be
an important resource, but the common foundation ontology will have to
include views that differ from the way concepts are represented in Cyc.
Again, I suggest that the best process is to bring together an international
group of ontology developers and users to find a structure that will be
adequate for all of them, and for that, some modest but non-trivial funding
is needed.  The best common ontology, in my view, will allow different
logically compatible ways of viewing the same entities, with translations
between alternative views.
   The existing definitions in the Longman are skimpy because their purpose
is to allow learners of English as a second language to understand them.
This does not mean that more detail could not be added, still using the same
defining vocabulary.  Some experiments I did indicate to my satisfaction
that more detailed definitions can be created without expanding the defining
vocabulary.  Whether an analogous conceptual defining vocabulary will
function adequately for interoperability cannot be proven or disproven by
abstract argument, it has to be tried by a project with adequate resources
to have a chance to succeed.  No, it has not been performed over millennia,
the example foundation ontologies that provide the starting point have only
been available for the past 5-10 years.   Of course it will never be proven
until it is tried.  This is not philosophy, it is largely engineering.  An
engineering hypothesis can only be proven by building the artifact that is
postulated to serve the practical purpose envisioned.
   If the estimates of over a hundred billion per year in lost efficiency
due to lack of interoperability are valid (I think it is an underestimate),
then we have lost over a trillion since discussions started on a "standard
upper ontology", and risking 10-20 million on a serious effort to provide
the solution seems to me as a total no-brainer.
   I haven't seen any other proposals that come even close to providing as
effective a solution even for multiples of that price.  Hoping that by some
magic some means of relating ontologies will evolve without central
direction is to me the equivalent of praying for a solution.  The
development of isolated local ontologies for specialized communities does
not help solve the problem, it magnifies the problem as idiosyncratic
logical structures are created that will be difficult and time-consuming
(though not impossible) to relate to each other.  Whatever local utility
they may have, they can't interoperate.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416