Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re:ANN: GoodRelations

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:08:30 -0400
Pat,    (01)

I've seen the differce between "Lightweight" versus 'heavyweight" in ontology
described as the use of axioms.  For exaple "Heavyweight Ontology Engineering"
by   Frédéric FURST and  Francky TRICHET (Lecture notes in computer science )
say :      (02)

"An heavyweight ontology is a lightweight ontology (i.e. an ontology simply
based on a hierarchy of concepts and a hierarchy of relations) enriched with
axioms used to fix the semantic interpretation of concepts and relations. "    (03)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
EM&I    (04)