Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology [was Semantic Web shortcomings]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:23:17 -0400
Hi John --

You wrote...

The ideal comments are ones that can be stated in a controlled natural language that a computer can relate to the formalism automatically.  [emphasis added]

This makes sense in a discussion about ontologies, where the focus is on controlling the terminology.

However, a stronger statement is obtained by omitting the word "controlled':

The ideal comments are ones that can be stated in a natural language that a computer can relate to the formalism automatically.

This what the system online at the site below does.  It's a bit like throwing away the code and computing using the comments instead.  Except that, as far as an author is concerned, there is no need to write any code.

There  is an underlying subtle and counterintuitive point about uncontrolled natural language and deductive systems.  It seems that systems that automatically relate both can be said do their own grounding, in a sense that is practically useful.

                              Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering