Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re:ANN: GoodRelations

To: Godfrey Rust <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:49:56 -0400
Godfrey Rust wrote:    (01)

>> Considering, if you somehow
>> pull off in this heroic but thankless intelligent deed, creating a
>> consistent axiomatic ontology of things in the world, than you will sure
>> become an immortal being.
>> Cheers,
>> Azamat Abdoullaev
>
> Azamat, a noble sentiment, though I wonder if "become an immortal being"
> in this context would be better rendered "die in the attempt"? :-)    (02)

This view is a strong rationale for talking about it instead of doing
it.  ;-)    (03)

Eswaran Subrahmanian observed that by the time you have finished
formulating the complete ontology for a domain, you will have to begin
again to repair the ontology to match the changes in the accepted wisdom
since you began developing the formulation, and then you can deal with
the changes in the domains it touches on.    (04)

The problem seems to lie in two areas:
  - How much axiomatization is enough to be 'widely useful'?
  - Useful to whom?    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (07)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)