Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:38:02 +0200
Ron,    (01)

Thank you for this pointer:    (02)

> If you are interested in what motivates my questions and interest,
> you can visit our web site www.artifact-software.com and look at the
> SimOps section.  We are trying to answer some of these questions
> about  process units in petrochemical and other plants through
> static data presentations.    (03)

And this is why I do indeed find it interesting:    (04)

Any verbosity-archaeologist who for whatever strange reason happened
to excavate into my years of buildup on the Web of MACK, The
Mainstream Architecture of Common Knowledge, would easily agree with
the following particular view of it:  [I spare you the relevant urls
going back over 12 years, and all the earlier off-web references...]    (05)

MACK emphasizes state over interface.  That approach - if correct -
would help explain the failure (or disappointment, if you prefer...)
of many buzzword-laden would-be architectures of recent decades,
perhaps most prominently the OMG's OMA/CORBA and every SOA stack, but
also including every other "interface-inheritance" OO model.    (06)

Let us assume - as we must here, at least before that infamous "5th
instalment" appears - that a state-based model can give rise to a
comprehensive yet coherent set of principles and tools addressing
architectural criteria such as modularity, component reusability,
application interoperability, complexity-hiding, openness, privacy,
security, flexibility, migratibility, evolvability and scalability all
the way up to universal Internet level.    (07)

Then the very way of working with such an architecture would be much
closer to every presently-existing state model, starting with mere
spreadsheets and extending all the way up to would-be virtual worlds
for which the Frame Problem does become a problem.  Somewhere
inbetween there would be the managed simulations and what-ifs of
instructional software.    (08)

> I can see the potential power of ontology if it can be applied to
> this in a way that is easy to use.    (09)

The key role of Ontology in the above picture is precisely what that
5th instalment will address, and after some further instalments a
fully-integrated, event-driven, full-coverage, agile yet
industrial-strength setup will much more clearly be the eventual yet
easily-reachable outcome.    (010)

> In the case of an emergency or even a scheduled shutdown, having
> answers to these questions quickly can save lives or at a minimum,
> reduce costly downtime.    (011)

Q.E.D.  {or rather: Quid Est Demonstrandum!)
Christopher    (012)

P.S.  The rest of Architect Software may be interested in the sequel
on MACK?    (013)