Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re: ANN: GoodRelation

Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:34:43 -0400
If you are interested in what motivates my questions and interest, you
can visit our web site www.artifact-software.com and look at the SimOps
section.
We are trying to answer some of these questions about  process units in
petrochemical and other plants through static data presentations.    (01)

I can see the potential power of ontology if it can be applied to this
in a way that is easy to use.
In the case of an emergency or even a scheduled shutdown, having answers
to these questions quickly can save lives or at a minimum, reduce costly
downtime.    (02)

Ron    (03)

Christopher Spottiswoode wrote:
> Ron, your requirement statement is wonderful in its brevity and in its
> challenge!  Ed's assessments of major present players was also
> admirable, for its very relevant deep and wise perspectives, but I can
> sense your frustration.
>
> If my "MACK basics" series of posts to this list seems to be
> forgetting to do so, please remind me to return to your challenge once
> I have built up the bigger MACK picture a bit further.  Then I will
> show how on the forthcoming "DemocraticWeb" each one of your use cases
> might play out in a supported yet natural way (even if I have to add
> many qualifications to your idea of "a base ontology that describes a
> fair amount of the universe.")
>
> For that, I first need to expand a lot more on issues like what MACK
> brings to modularity and scalability at Internet scales.  For now,
> meanwhile, I just remind or point out that the generic function of the
> MACK-conformant AOS for MACK-conformant applications or functionality
> is to be the basis for a universal "market vehicle" or marketplace.
>
> Thank you, in great anticipation too!
> Christopher

>>> reliable.  And OBTW, _all_ of these required some serious