Re: [ontolog-forum] [Obo-relations] Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "Wacek Kusnierczyk" <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: bfo-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, obo-relations@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Werner Ceusters" <ceusters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 15:47:38 -0400
BFO and OBO aim for representation that is faithful to reality, not for
computational efficiency or "easyness" of reasoning.
BFO for sure, and good OBO ontologies (there are not many yet) represent
universals. The monohierarchy applies to universals. "married man" does not
denote a universal, so would never be present in a good OBO ontology.
If there are places in OBO ontologies where the priority of distinction is
an issue, then that probably is a place where some mistake against the "only
universals" rule is made. Better to correct such mistakes, than to relax the
principles.    (01)

If you want to have "married man" in some application ontology (in contrast
to reference ontologies as BFO and what OBO ontologies ought to be), then it
could go there as a defined class, defined on the basis of the universals
"man" and "marriage".    (02)

w    (03)