Re: [ontolog-forum] Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "Charles P. White" <charles.p.white@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 20:45:41 +0200
At 10:58 AM -0700 5/1/08, Charles P. White wrote:
Hello all,

This is my first chime into the conversations so I hope my topic is
appropriate.

At present, I'm working as the lead of NASA/JPL's Spacecraft Problem
Reporting System (PRS), which is a web based application where an
engineer or scientist can report a problem with a spacecraft that is
in-flight, or under development.  When an "anomaly" is created, it is
then  automatically dispatched to the proper team of folks that can
triage and solve the problem, sign, and close the issue.

Presently, we are using a hierarchy to define the structure of the
individual items that make up the spacecraft.  It is a typical
parent-child-grandchild relationship.  However, I am running into a
cases where a child can have more then one non-related parents.

Often referred to as 'multiple inheritance'. They are quite common in ontology work.

 This
aspect is something that hurts my hierarchical mind.

I have recently found the concept of heterarchy in my knowledge
management quests and find it maybe the answer.  From Wikipedia, "In
a group of related items, heterarchy is a state wherein any pair of
items is likely to be related in two or more differing ways. Whereas
hierarchies sort groups into progressively smaller categories and
subcategories, heterarchies divide and unite groups variously,
according to multiple concerns that emerge or recede from view
according to perspective."

That sounds like a rather general and permissive kind of definition. Do you really need to go that far? Would it be enough to have something like a hierarchy - a tree - but to allow branches to merge downwards, so that a given entry might be on more than one path from the root? A directed acyclic graph (DAG) rather than a tree? Notice this still has the property that going downwards on any given branch gives you progressively smaller categories, and it rules out 'loops' of inheritance.

My challenge/question is, how would define and represent the
heterarchy in a designator system?  We all know how to express
hierarchy as 1.3.54.A for example, but when an item has more then one
parent, how can we express that in an equally simplistic way?

You can't, other than by obvious tricks such as having a collection of such designators for each item. But why do you need to? You can maintain the structure in other ways. For example, an RDF triple store can represent an arbitrary DAG structure, and all that is required is that each entry have a unique name of some kind.

Pat

Thanks for the bandwidth
Charles P. White (aka Jet Burns)
"This sentense has three erors."

IHMC               (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.       (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                 (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections