Re: [ontolog-forum] Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 14:24:39 -0400
Mr. White,
   Two points:
   (1) some people use 'heterarchy' to mean exactly the same thing as
'hierarchy' and allow more than one parent for a node in a hierarchy. In
this terminology, the restriction to one parent per node defines a
'taxonomy'.
   (2) since a simple label like '1.3.54.A' traces back the path into a
hierarchy, a multiple-inheritance hierarchy (heterarchy) would require that
any given node have multiple labels of that type, each being synonymous with
the other.    (01)

    Another tactic to avoid multiple inheritance is to use properties to
subcategorize types - logically, having multiple necessary properties is
equivalent to having multiple parent types, where each parent type is
specified solely by requiring instances to all have that property.  You can
preserve the single dot-format label that way, but need an additional
mechanism to select by properties (or facets).    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416