Re: [ontolog-forum] [Obo-relations] Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ryan Kohl <kohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 09:57:56 -0400
Christopher Menzel wrote:

> I have to say, I find the the "spatiotemporal existence" condition in
> a definition of "universal" utterly baffling.  Why build such a strong
> philosophical prejudice into the entire framework from the git-go?
> Barry and Pierre, are you *that* certain of your insight into
> reality's Ultimate Nature?

It doesn't have to be a matter of certainty as much as clarity.  If I
had to choose, I'd prefer a well-defined ontology I had problems with to
a barely-defined ontology that I could interpret to taste.  Of course, I
agree that in the crowded upper ontology marketplace, such a definition
of 'universal' would need a stellar ad campaign.    (01)