Re: [ontolog-forum] Adverbs (was Anthropology of Colour)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:02:28 -0500
At 11:48 AM -0400 3/18/08, Michael Gruninger wrote:
Hello Pat,

Pat Hayes wrote:

>It is gratifying to see that something as elementary as buttering a
>piece of toast can be 'ontologized' in so few ways. By my count we
>have only five so far. No doubt proponents of a single
>all-encompassing representationalist strategy will find comfort in
>this thread.
>
>Pat

There seems to be a difference between an ontology and a
"representational strategy".
The former is a fixed set of axioms in some language together with a fixed
nonlogical lexicon.
The latter seems to be a metatheoretical constraint (e.g. all relations
should have a
temporal argument, events are specified by ternary relations) which is
not axiomatized.

The difference is that a theorem prover can determine which sentences are
consistent with the axioms of an ontology, but it can't determine
conformance with
the metatheoretic constraint.

But software can be written which can. And indeed, if you write enough axioms to specify the constraints themselves, maybe a theorem-prover could (though I wouldnt try that in practice in the current state of the art.)

Shouldn't we be striving to write axioms??
What constitutes a "representational strategy" in your view?

What you have called a metatheoretical constraint, above, more or less. All the actual axioms on this thread were intended to be illustrative of a certain style or method of writing axioms to capture the meanings of English simple declarative sentences, right? I used 'strategy' to refer to these styles or methods.

Pat

IHMC               (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.       (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                 (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections