Re: [ontolog-forum] CL and Butterings

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:38:25 -0500
At 11:24 AM -0500 3/18/08, Chris Menzel wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>  (1')  (Ex)(Event(e) & Buttering(e) & Agent(e,j))
>>>
>>>  and
>>>
>>>  (2')  (Ex)(Event(e) & Buttering(e) & Agent(e,j) & Slow(e))
>>>
>>>  respectively, it is obvious that (1') now follows from (2') by simple
>>>  predicate logic.
>>
>>  I expect you mean to bind e rather than x
>
>Of course.
>
>>  You might have pointed out that Common Logic already allows the
>>  "Harman" constructions without extending the language. This is legal
>>  CLIF:
>>
>>  (forall ((S HarmanOperator) P x)(if ((S P) x) (P x)))
>
>Indeed it is!  I missed a good "teaching moment" there. :-)
>
>>  However, for all that, I prefer the Davidson way of writing things:
>>
>>  (forall ((S HarmanOperator) P x)(if
>>              ((S P) x)
>>              (exists ((e Event))(and (P e)((Davidize S) e) (agent e x) ))
>>  ))
>
>I expect that should be the "Davidsonize" operator. :-)  Seems to me,
>though, that "P" is being used ambiguously here.  When I butter the
>toast, it seems reasonable to say that there is both a buttering
>relation between me and the toast as well as an event that is a
>buttering.  If so, we don't want a single predicate indicating the
>buttering relation and the buttering-event property, but rather two
>predicates that are systematically correlated with one another.    (01)

I guess. Sigh. Im always trying to reduce
concept-inflation, however. It gets to be
impossible to remember which is which if we have
to have too many butterings. If they naturally
had different numbers of arguments, then we can
conflate them into one multirelation, but in this
case they are both unary.  Also the natural
'thing' that is involved with the event seems to
vary from verb to verb. The toast (object) is
buttered, but its the dancer (subject) who
dances. Sigh.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>-chris

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (05)