Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:17:53 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> Matthew,
>    Clarification of my too-concise phraseology:
> > >   The programs won't but the databases can be.  Cyc and
> > > Ontology Works claim
> > > to be able to integrate databases with an ontology.
> >
> > MW: What does it mean in integrate a data base with an ontology? I
> > can think of a number of possibilities.
>
> Revised:  ". . . able to integrate multiple databases, *using* an
> integration ontology.    (02)

MW: OK. That is what ISO 15926 is about.

> > >    But to my knowledge there is no public demonstration of
> > > that integration
> > > technique on a database of significant size.
> >
> > MW: What would constitute a significant size? or what would not?
> >
>   Thus far I have only seen conceptual demos of one table in
> each of two
> databases, with about 10 columns per table, and that wasn't public.  A
> realistic demo would have at least a few dozen columns in
> each database, and
> preferably more than one table in each.  Do you know of such
> a demo?  Or do
> you think it might be worthwhile doing one?    (03)

This sort of thing goes on fairly regularly in industry, an example
I was involved in about a decade ago is written up here:
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/Documents/STEPintoTheRealWorld.PDF    (04)

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (07)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)