Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:17:35 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> John,
>    I agree with your three points, but have some additional comment:
>
> [JS] >   2. We do have billions, if not trillions, of dollars
> of software
> >      that supports the world's economy, and we see legacy software
> >      that is 40 years old or older still in daily use -- none of
> >      which is or will be converted to any "integrating" ontology.
> >
>   The programs won't but the databases can be.  Cyc and
> Ontology Works claim
> to be able to integrate databases with an ontology.      (02)

MW: What does it mean in integrate a data base with an ontology? I
can think of a number of possibilities.    (03)

> I am
> involved in a
> project exploring the technology to do that.  Each of these
> methods uses a
> single upper ontology for the integration process.
>    But to my knowledge there is no public demonstration of
> that integration
> technique on a database of significant size.      (04)

MW: What would constitute a significant size? or what would not?    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (07)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)