Re: [ontolog-forum] Anthropology of Colour

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:23:59 -0500
At 12:38 PM -0400 3/17/08, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
>Sean Barker wrote:
>
>>>  That is, there is a continuing evolution of the
>>>  conceptualisation of colour from an adjectival to nominal concept -
>>>  noting that in ancient Egypt, colour terms were verbs (to become red)
>>>  rather than adjectives. (English has verbal forms for the first three
>>>  terms in the BCT sequence - blackening, whitening, reddening, but not
>>>  *bluening, with greening having restricted usage not *greening a shirt).
>
>And Pat Hayes said:
>>  In my native dialect, "blueing" is fine. One can
>>  blue a shirt (it actually, for odd reasons, means
>>  to make it a brighter white by 'removing the
>>  yellow') ...
>
>I think Sean had an important idea that got a bit muddled with a related
>one.
>
>There are several languages in which certain kinds of "adjectives",
>colours among them, always have a verbal form.  "The red car" is "the
>car that 'is red'".  Apparently ancient Coptic is among them.  A similar
>approach is often used to capture "adjectival attributions" in
>formalizations of natural language, where the adjective is turned into a
>predicate:  E.g., "All red cars are cop-magnets" becomes:
>   (FORALL x)(IF (AND (car x) (red x)) (cop-magnet x))
>And the predicate red() has the meaning 'is red', just as car() means
>'is a car'.
>
>That is the point I thought should not be lost: Formalization turns
>adjectives, including colour attribution, into predicates ("verbs").    (01)

I wouldn't say for a second that predicates in FOL have any clear
connection with verbs in English.    (02)

>(It wasn't just a peculiarity of ancient Egyptian.)
>
>Now, in many of these languages, 'is red' is indistinguishable from
>'turns red' or 'turned red'.    (03)

I wonder if these languages had a construction that we might render
as 'staying red' or 'maintaining red' which disambiguated in the
other direction?    (04)

>  This is probably a result of observation
>that redness is a result of change, whether persistent or not.  When
>humans 'turn red', there is clearly a change, but in nature, flowers and
>berries 'turn red' as they grow, and cloth is 'turned red' as a
>consequence of application of some dye.  This seems to apply to turning
>yellow, green, blue and brown as well, but not usually to white and black.
>
>But in Western languages, AFTER colour attribution was an "adjective",
>we developed derived terms for processes that produce colour change.
>The examples that Sean and Pat used are of this kind: blacken, redden,
>blue(-ing), yellow(-ing), etc.  (It may be that this is just a
>chicken/egg issue in language development.)
>
>BTW, Pat's observation about laundry "bluing" that makes brighter whites
>is derived from a mid-19th century product, "Reckitts blue", that was a
>synthetic blue dye added to washloads in small quantities to overcome
>the yellow or grey tint that whites acquired from many washings in
>public water supplies.    (05)

I recall the smell (and taste) of the stuff from my childhood. Dying
ones tongue blue was a common distraction, and often alarmed ones
mother in a satisfactory way.    (06)

>  (The practice may be older, but Prussian Blue
>and French Blue dyes were expensive; the synthetic was cheap.)  By 1900
>similar products were marketed under a dozen names in England, the US,
>and much of Europe, and they were all called "blue" or "bluing".
>Household bleaches and other chemical whiteners finally drove them out
>of the market around 1960.    (07)

Blued steel is much older, though, and is still used (both the
material and the linguistic formation).    (08)

Pat
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (09)