Re: [ontolog-forum] Adverbs (was Anthropology of Colour)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:44:05 -0500
>>> Upon reflection, I have to agree.  Logical predicates seem to
>>> represent nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs without prejudice.
>> Not adverbs, typically.  In a standard logical language, sentences
>> like
>>
>> (1) John buttered the toast
>>
>> and
>>
>> (2) John buttered the toast slowly
>>
>> would have to be represented using completely different predicates,
>> one for "buttered" and another for "slowly buttered", e.g., "Bjt" and
>> "Sjt" or "Buttered(john,thetoast)" and
>> "SlowlyButtered(john,thetoast)".  This is very unsatisfactory,
>> however, as sentence (1) obviously follows from (2), whereas "Bjt"
>> obviously does not follow from "Sjt".
>
> Chris is quite right, of course.
> Having recently been exposed to some IKL-like phrasing, I have seen
> things like:
>
> (WasSlowly (THAT (Buttered John Toast)))    (01)

Right; it's kind of Davidsonian, with a proposition playing the role of
an event.    (02)

> But that is most definitely NOT FOL.    (03)

Not traditional FOL, for sure.  But you can certainly have first-order
logics in which propositions are first-class citizens as in IKL.
Whether IKL is genuinely first-order, well, we'll get back to you on
that. :-)    (04)

-chris    (05)