Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:44:57 -0600
At 1:47 PM +0000 2/20/08, <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Dear John,
>
>I don't follow this.
>
>>  Interesting point:  In our work at VivoMind, we have found that
>>  Roget's _Thesaurus_ is more useful than WordNet for representing
>>  emotional terms and value judgments.  Since we use a partial ordering
>>  rather than a tree, we can treat the Roget classifications as the
>>  equivalent of WordNet synsets in a large partial ordering.
>
>I thought a tree structure was a partial ordering.    (01)

It is, but not necessarily the reverse. Partial
orderings which are not tree-like are often more
interesting and useful for some purposes, as they
can 'fit' the data better when entities can be
classified along many dimensions independently of
one another: forcing the ordering to be tree-like
introduces artifactual orderings between the
dimensions.    (02)

>What do you see as
>the difference between a tree and a partial ordering?    (03)

A tree is a partial order which obeys the extra
condition that each item has a unique immediate
predecessor.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>Regards
>
>Matthew West
>Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
>Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
>Registered in England and Wales
>Registered number: 621148
>Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom
>
>Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
>Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
>http://www.shell.com
>http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (07)