Re: [ontolog-forum] What words mean

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:19:27 +0700

> >>     As Pope said (Alexander, that is), "The proper study of
> >>     mankind is man."  Already, of course, "the Sabbath [as
> >>     other ideologies] was made for man."  The Existentialists
> >>     also had a word or two to say on the matter.
>
> But, seriously, what do you suggest one does in such cases?    (01)

It depends on the context and what we are trying to achieve, and the
hour of the day    (02)

if we are trying to engage the whole of your audience, we must choose
appropriate terminology that does not antagonize anyone, especially
those who feel strongly about humankind and the sabbath    (03)

 this is not easy, and this is how this thread started I believe
requires ability to exercise certain amount of restraint on otherwise
a rather loose tongue    (04)

I like the idea of a 'warning label'  (note that this quote isno
longer considered appropriate by modern ethical standards according to
legistalion such and such on gender equality date and place of decree)    (05)

one could also look for equivalent methaphors that do not make
discriminatory implications    (06)

or paraphrase the quotes, and leave history behind    (07)

or ignore complaints and go to sleep    (08)

PDM    (09)