Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:12:10 +0200
Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:52 AM, John Sowa wrote;    (01)

>  1. In physics, it is possible to derive an enormous number of
>     consequences from a small number of basic principles.
>
>  2. Therefore, theories in physics have proved to be extremely
>     valuable.  (I'll avoid the f----ful word.)
>
>  3. But very few subjects one encounters in everyday life (even in
>     the professions of law and medicine) have theories that remotely
>     resemble physics.
>
>  4. For those subjects, the amount of effort required to derive
>     theories that cover all the details is enormous, and nobody
>     does it.
>  5. Instead, I would recommend case-based reasoning, which can be
>     interpreted as domain-specific induction on just those cases that
>     are relevant to the immediate problem, followed by short chains
>     of deduction to adapt the result to the problem at hand.

 John,    (02)

I can't figure out your final position on the cardinal issues:    (03)

1. whether you believe in one methodology applicable to all fields of
knowledge or in many different methods for different disciplines;
2. whether you believe in one logic common to all the sciences or in many
different logics, one for maths, one for physics, one for politics, one for
ethics, etc.
3.  whether you advance one ontology common to all domains of inquiry or
many different ontologies, an ontology for maths, another for physics,
another for social sciences, etc.    (04)

Thanks,    (05)

Azamat    (06)