Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:53:35 +0700
> But this "unpredictability" is not a bad thing. It means a hologram
> can code much more information than an ordinary photographic plate. In
> fact intrigued by Pat's analogy I chased up some vague references to
> holographic memories and found that, indeed, technology is starting to
> get hip to this. Among others I found this:
>

> Equate resolution to predictability, and you have a sense for the
> "randomness" of any grain of emulsion in a hologram.

Rob,
I find your theory above interesting and challenging    (01)

That random patterns of information , as unordered sets of assorted
values, can reveal more details than ordered and defined bits. Like
looking at the negative impressions of images reveals the shape of
what is surrounding the image, than of the image itself, and makes one
understand more about the object observed by highlighting its
surrounding.    (02)

 Basically to me your idea corresponds to the notion that the
knowledge that we are capable of storing, is always a limited subset
of the knowledge that exists. Knowledge, like the universe of
discourse, like information and the universe itself, is
infinite (I know some theories purport otherwise), and what we can
sort and apply is only some part thereof.
Next, all we need is a method to query  and apply all the knowledge
contained in such infinite randomness, to make our defined information
more useful (other than becoming a search engine addict and developing
your own heuristics)    (03)

I think what you say above points to the issue of  'context' already
widely discussed on this list, although I am not sure we reached a
conclusion on that one yet    (04)

More to the meaning of words when I can wrap my mind around that    (05)

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th