Re: [ontolog-forum] language ambiguity (was: Axiomatic ontology)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:16:59 -0600
At 4:24 PM +0000 2/14/08, <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Paola,

> >if you consider this sort of thing to be a tool for computer
> > assisted ontology development, then it can be very helpful,
> particularly
> > where we are talking about extracting brute facts. However,
> if you are
> > talking about more general ontology extraction, then of
> course the ontolgoy
> > produced is going to be no better than that of the document
> considered, and
> > there are the usual issues with ambiguity that computers
> usually struggle
> > with, especially using words with different senses in close
> proximity.
> >

> I  agree, and think that such functionality can be useful to aid
> concept extraction for further refinement. How does the system
> identify the classes, objects and relations I dont understand, do they
> have to be in RDF? Or how does it do it? (haven't read the
> documentation)

MW: What I have seen is a kind of NLP parsing, so nouns are classes,
proper names are individuals, spotting patterns for names of people,
addresses, and company names, dates, and then understanding the patterns
around certain key words, so when you see something like:
"Shell bought XYZ co from ABC Corp on July 17th 2006"
it can create the appropriate records of the activity, when it happened
and who the parties were involved.

And that 'ABC Corp' is a legal agent but not a human person, and so (probably) is 'Shell'; and from something like

"Captain J. Shoemaker, commander of the 37th calvary, ..."

that the commander of a calvary (a military group entity) called the '37th calvary' is a human being holding the rank of Captain with the name "J. Shoemaker" (al italics indicating ontology relationships). Things like that. They do what one might call phraseal micro-parsing (not a technical term) based on language statistics and some shallow but useful semantic knowledge of word usage. The general technique is often called text-scraping.

Pat

Regards

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

> Paola Di Maio

IHMC               (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.       (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                 (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections