Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:59:48 -0500
Using quoted strings in a Google search:
  "a tulip is a flower" ---    15 hits
  "a tulip is a"        ---  8610 hits    (01)

So, the Web tells me that the chances are 574 to 1 that a tulip is something
*other* than a flower.  Gimme a break!    (02)

When I want to find information about types to put in an ontology, I never
go to the Web, but to authoritative sources that are well-thought out and
organized to provide information efficiently, like dictionaries,
encyclopedias, glossaries, thesauri, and other ontologies, and occasionally
textbooks.  There's enough of them that one needn't drown in Web garbage to
get info for an ontology.  For a few tidbits of information about specific
instances the Web can be useful, when interpreted through the full power of
human understanding (mine).  But one can waste a lot of time looking for
info on the Web (what is the weight of the Taj Mahal?  Can't find any data).    (03)

Statistical techniques are adequate for rough translations because they
depend on training on texts that have already been translated by a human.
Show me a text that requires a little thought to understand, and then look
at an automatic translation.  Yechh!  "Understanding" it is **not**.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416