Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:05:51 +0800
Pat Hayes, and anyone else looking for ways to extract meaning from the Web.    (01)

General meaningful classes are accessible by clustering words on their
context. Classes found in that way don't have names until you give
them names, and we have still have no way of reasoning with them, but
basic meaningful classes can be found.    (02)

See for instance Hinrich Schuetze's "Dimensions of Meaning":    (03)

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/23424.html.    (04)

I don't see why it should not prove possible to reason with classes so
defined. I believe indeed that natural language can be thought of as a
formal system over such classes (a formal system as distinct from a
grammar.)    (05)

-Rob Freeman    (06)