Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:30:04 +0200
Lainaus Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>:    (01)

> >All the parsed results can be compared, and
> >probablilities given to each individual X and Y in
> >"X is Y". And this is exactly the same as making
> >a 'genuine' ontology with the subclass relations.
>
> No, it is absolutely nothing like making a genuine ontology.    (02)

We have reached the not-too, not-too situation.    (03)

> >The is-a relationship is a part of the solution.
>
> No, the problem is to find the ontological content in the free NL
> text. Such text contains all sorts of information, some of which can
> be possibly expressed as subclass relations, and a much smaller
> fraction of which can be usefully so expressed. But there are no
> simple heuristics for reliably recognizing such information based on
> the form of the NL sentences.    (04)

If is-a is not one sort of ontological content, then what is?    (05)

A large number of simple "X is Y" NL sentences gives a quite
good approximation that "X is a subclass of Y", similarly as
using Google as means to separate which one is the right word:
'successor' of 'sucesor'. Of course there are more complex
tasks too.    (06)

> I'm sorry, but it is clear that you know almost nothing about the
> actual NLP field. There is no point in continuing this discussion.
> Read some textbooks on the state of the art on NL comprehension
> systems.    (07)

> >PNL is a general scheme. It does not solve all the
> >problems of AI, but it is a good suggestion of
> >the general guidelines.
>
> The general guidelines for solving all the problems of AI?? I'm
> afraid I am simply laughing at this point.    (08)

The general guideline is: use web as the source of information
instead of hard-coding it, which is done with Cyc.    (09)

> >One of Zadeh's ideas was to convert NL into PNL.
>
> And the best of luck to you and to Lotfi in actually managing to do
> this.    (010)

It doesn't take a Phd in NLP to understand that NLP is the
the right way to do the conversion. I've only been to one
seminar about NLP, but reading many books doesn't change
the points made above. The main point was the web is more
likely to be the repository of common sense than Cyc. And
this doesn't change the fact that the internal model
of a NL parser can be called an ontology too.    (011)

Avril    (012)