Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:11:34 -0600
At 3:08 PM -0500 1/31/08, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
>Rob Freeman wrote:
>>  General meaningful classes are accessible by clustering words on their
>>  context. Classes found in that way don't have names until you give
>>  them names, and we have still have no way of reasoning with them, but
>>  basic meaningful classes can be found.    (01)

Umm... I don't seem to be getting these emails from Rob. Are they
being sent to the general list?    (02)

>And using the Web as a resource has the "argumentum ad populum" problem:
>the result is what the most publications, or the most visited
>publications, provide, not necessarily what the most reputable
>publications provide.  (I wouldn't want an ontology for medieval
>weaponry to be based on World of Warcraft, but I might well get just that.)    (03)

In addition, what Google and Yahoo find you is web pages, not
classes. Document retrieval is not the same as knowledge extraction.    (04)

Pat    (05)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)