Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: <standard-upper-ontology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:29:42 +0200
John,    (01)

Your arguments are very persuasive but not entirely conclusive. The
substance of the message is that the empirical sciences are advancing by the
interplay of observations, measurements and theorizing; interaction of data
and generalizations; specific facts and mathematical demonstration and
theoretical reasoning and speculative intuitions. What is generally correct
and widely acceptable as a well-established scientific method.    (02)

At its dawn, mathematics started as a simple counting of wealth and
measuring of real estate property. Now it's the deductive formal axiomatic
science dealing with structure, order, and relationship, at the most
abstract level, without any specific reference and meaning; what makes it a
highly valuable science.    (03)

Take your example of thermodynamics. It is based on few number of concepts:
systems (material objects, particles), states (equilibrium), properties
(energy, entropy), changes (processes, irreversible, reversible),
interactions (work, heat), and fundamental laws (the first, second and
third).    (04)

Take biology. It is also founded on several key principles: unity (of
origin, substance and function of all living matter); diversity (of
species); continuity (of generations); evolution (progressive change);
relationships (of living things and environment); homeostasis (state of
equilibrium, from the cell to the biosphere)    (05)

It looks any fundamental scientific theory is nothing but a body of concepts
or principles and set of fundamental statements (existential and universal,
as definitions, axioms, rules, and laws). Defining all other specific
concepts and deducing all other particular propositions, this form of
knowledge organization secures consistency of meaning and completeness of
analysis.    (06)

The same works for building an axiomatic real ontology as the general
theoretical system establishing the relationships of all things to each
other, with its application, computing ontology. Ontology is a body of most
primitive categories and basic truths of reality  (universal definitions,
axioms, and fundamental rules), represented in an axiomatic and formal
manner; what makes ontology as the most valuable science. Since the meanings
of all other concepts can be defined in terms of basic ontological classes,
as all other meaningful propositions can be deduced from the basal
ontological truths.    (07)

Azamat    (08)