Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian_bailey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:47:22 -0000
Hi Pat,    (01)

In a 4D Ontology, what you refer to as a point in time is actually an extent
with one dimension (time) tending towards zero and the other three tending
towards infinity. More usually, one is interested in a "point in time" over
a finite 3D extent though (ignoring relativistic considerations, which in
most earth-bound situations we can). We can talk about 4:00 UST all over the
world. That is not a point, it's an extent in four dimensions.    (02)

I'm sure Chris Partridge or Matthew West can explain this more precisely
than me, so apologies if my terminology is not quite correct.    (03)

>From a purely pragmatic point of view (I'm what Chris describes as a
"hairy-arsed engineer"), 4D works and works very well - we've been working
with for years in ISO15926, and we chose the same approach for the IDEAS
Ontology (www.ideasgroup.org) 'cos it works. I've seen far too many bodged
and inconsistent attempts to manage time in data models and ontologies over
the years. The 4D approach gives you a pattern for representing change over
time that works in all cases and works consistently.     (04)

Cheers
--
Ian Bailey
www.modelfutures.com

Model Futures Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 05248454
Registered Company Address: 1 Nelson Street, Southend-On-Sea, Essex, SS1 1EG
VAT Number: 848 7357 75    (05)

But those start and end times ARE points. Really,
you can't get away from it: if you have
intervals, you have the points at their ends.
They might not be points in the mathematical real
line, but they are points in the following senses:    (06)

1. they are indivisible (unless you change your interval topology)
2. they are the places where intervals meet one another
3. they are uniquely determined by your intervals
4. they determine the time ordering on the intervals    (07)

And this is independent of whether or not you have continuous or dense time.    (08)

Pat    (09)

>All this for me is independent of whether time is ultimately granular
>or continuous. Ultimately this only means at what point we can not longer
>tell whether one event happened before another.
>

>Regards
>
>Matthew West
>Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
>Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
>Registered in England and Wales
>Registered number: 621148
>Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom
>
>Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
>Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
>http://www.shell.com
>http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)