Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:37:56 -0500
Paola,    (01)

 > what is the accepted syntax for pTim
 > can pTim be a timestamp?  is there a prescribed format
 > for time/date in ikl    (02)

The dyadic relation PTim (point in time) is not an official
part of either conceptual graphs or IKL.  It is part of an
ontology for time, which I commonly use with CGs.  (And yes,
I would be happy to send or point to the ontology, if I had
it written down in a convenient form.  Right now, it is
scattered in a very inconvenient form.)    (03)

As I use it, the first argument of PTim is some physical event
or situation, and the second argument is some time specification.
Since I assume that time "points" can never be observed or
specified as true points, there is always an implicit granularity.
Therefore, the second argument could be any of the following,
each of which has a default granularity determined by the least
significant digit of the specification:    (04)