Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:37:46 -0600
At 10:09 AM -0500 1/22/08, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>On Jan 21, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>At 8:58 AM -0800 1/21/08, Duane Nickull wrote:
>>>What about a site like http://www.audi.com ?
>>>
>>>IT automatically redirects to another site based on geographical
>>>location. I am in Canada but get the US audi site.  In Germany,
>>>one would encounter the german site.
>>>
>>>It is a better example?
>>
>>Its an example of why the W3C TAG insist on  referring to 'web
>>resources' or 'information  resources' rather than anything as
>>concrete as a  Web page. They want to be able to say, in cases
>>like this, that there is a single "thing" at the  end of that one
>>URI, which is able to respond in
>>a variety of languages, and its that "thing" that  is denoted by
>>the URI. There are a number of
>>cases like this, sometimes resolved by Mime type,  eg if your
>>browser is set to read aloud rather
>>than display visually, it might get sent  different HTML than a
>>conventional browser is  sent. BUt it would be the same 'web
>>resource',  just webarch:represented differently.
>>Pat
>
>Yes, but how far can this go? There is a difference between two
>language variants of a page (already suspect as being one thing, if
>you ask a linguist)  and two different sites catering to different
>cultures. I've seen cases like this where the news feeds are
>different, for example - in Germany, say, you get local German news,
>and in the US, you get US news. What is the one "Thing" here?    (01)

Well, Im not the authority in this area, but I gather that the
official W3C position on the semantics of URIs is that there is a
single entity, called a 'resource' (which may be "virtual")
identified by each URI (or, in modern parlance, each #-free IRI). Im
not sure what the position would be on the case you mention, but if
the edition is negotiated purely by language choice, then I think it
would be considered to fall under this ruling.  To a large extent,
cases like this have no antecedents to drive intuition, so are
decided more by fiat than anything.    (02)

In any case, I wouldn't say that cases like this are really indexical
or context-sensitive in the sense that we were originally discussing.
The only 'context' involved is the language choice, and this is
hardly the same as saying that a meaning is driven by the context of
the particular GET call.    (03)

Pat    (04)

>-Alan    (05)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)