Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:01:58 -0800
Here is some information:    (01)

On 1/22/08 8:37 AM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (02)

> Well, Im not the authority in this area, but I gather that the
> official W3C position on the semantics of URIs is that there is a
> single entity, called a 'resource' (which may be "virtual")
> identified by each URI (or, in modern parlance, each #-free IRI).    (03)

The Web Services Architecture work ( http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch/) has a
slightly different notion of how this works:    (04)

"The semantics of a Web service is the shared expectation about the behavior
of the service, in particular in response to messages that are sent to it.
In effect, this is the "contract" between the requester entity and the
provider entity regarding the purpose and consequences of the interaction."    (05)

Note here that "Service" has been strictly types as a specialized type of
"Resource".  In W3C terms, A "resource" is defined by [RFC 2396] to be
anything that can have an identifier.  I find this somewhat disturbingly
ambiguous as anything can have an indentifier.    (06)

RFC 2396 ( http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt) states " A Uniform Resource
Identifier (URI) is a compact string of characters for identifying an
abstract or physical resource."    (07)

It goes on to read " Resource
         A resource can be anything that has identity.  Familiar
         examples include an electronic document, an image, a service
         (e.g., "today's weather report for Los Angeles"), and a
         collection of other resources.  Not all resources are network
         "retrievable"; e.g., human beings, corporations, and bound
         books in a library can also be considered resources.    (08)

The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
         entities, not necessarily the entity which corresponds to that
         mapping at any particular instance in time.  Thus, a resource
         can remain constant even when its content---the entities to
         which it currently corresponds---changes over time, provided
         that the conceptual mapping is not changed in the process."    (09)

Note that TimBL noted the relativity of time as an important characteristic
for identifying resources.    (010)

Duane    (011)

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html