Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:09:44 -0500
On Jan 21, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> At 8:58 AM -0800 1/21/08, Duane Nickull wrote:
>> What about a site like http://www.audi.com ?
>>
>> IT automatically redirects to another site based on geographical
>> location. I am in Canada but get the US audi site.  In Germany,
>> one would encounter the german site.
>>
>> It is a better example?
>
> Its an example of why the W3C TAG insist on  referring to 'web
> resources' or 'information  resources' rather than anything as
> concrete as a  Web page. They want to be able to say, in cases
> like this, that there is a single "thing" at the  end of that one
> URI, which is able to respond in
> a variety of languages, and its that "thing" that  is denoted by
> the URI. There are a number of
> cases like this, sometimes resolved by Mime type,  eg if your
> browser is set to read aloud rather
> than display visually, it might get sent  different HTML than a
> conventional browser is  sent. BUt it would be the same 'web
> resource',  just webarch:represented differently.
> Pat    (01)

Yes, but how far can this go? There is a difference between two
language variants of a page (already suspect as being one thing, if
you ask a linguist)  and two different sites catering to different
cultures. I've seen cases like this where the news feeds are
different, for example - in Germany, say, you get local German news,
and in the US, you get US news. What is the one "Thing" here?    (02)

-Alan    (03)