Re: [ontolog-forum] Interesting way of using Google

To: "Dennis L. Thomas" <DLThomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:18:24 -0500
>Another issue that has been sidestepped each time it has been
>brought up, is the issue of how self-consistent logic functions
>within a quantum world. How effective can it be?? Yes, at the macro
>level, self-consistency is essential (engineering, manufacturing,
>rules of the road, etc.), but at the micro level, there is a world
>that is ever changing and influenced by a non-logical mind -
>individual or collective. As the saying goes, "life will not be
>denied." I am wondering, and I am hopeful, this topic will be
>address by the learned leadership of this excellent forum.    (01)

Let me see if I can focus on what topic exactly you are referring to.    (02)

You mention quantum world and macro/micro. Do you mean to imply that
micro=quantum-scale, and that at that scale, the world is not
self-consistent? If so, do you mean by this, that quantum theory is
not self-consistent, or that the world as described by quantum theory
is not self-consistent? I don't think that either of these are true.
The "quantum world" is indeed what one might call macro-peculiar, in
that it obeys very different physical rules from the macro-world's
physics; but it is not in any sense inconsistent. One can indeed
acquire, with some effort, a quantum-theoretic physical intuition.    (03)

You also refer to the micro level as 'ever changing', which is indeed
true but also seems to be true at the macro level, so I wonder why
you bring it up?    (04)

Finally, you say that micro level is "influenced by a non-logical
mind". What mind are you referring to here, and why is it non-logical?    (05)

Pat Hayes    (06)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)