Re: [ontolog-forum] Interesting way of using Google

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jenny ure <jure2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Dennis L. Thomas" <DLThomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:14:36 -0700
Jenny,

Your inclusion about "providing "support for multiple evolving ontologies for single domains" is a vital point.  Richard L. Ballard has long contended that the race for knowledge superiority is all about knowledge dominance.  That is, those companies that own most of the knowledge (publishers for example), who develop highly concentrated knowledgebase products, can and will dominate the language used in those fields.  This is an economic reality since it is less costly to license a knowledgebase product from those who own them, rather than to develop them again.

This is made especially possible through the use of Ballard's Mark 3 theory-based semantic technology that allows users to fully integrate millions of concepts, ideas and thought patterns to the highest level of granularity (expected release Q1 2008 in Beta form).  Every view point as posted on this board could be integrated into a knowledgebase - in fact, it would not be complete unless the insights and wisdom of the philosophers, logicians and others were not fully represented - as long as these valuable contributions have relevance to the knowledge domain being modeled.

The problem is that conventional technologies (to include W3C technologies), do not accommodate the issue of real time reification of multiple view points, new category formation, or category modification..... thus addressing the ontology merge issue.  The different offerings being a layer cake of off-setting technologies  versus a single, succinct, integration of human thought.  From my opinion, as in other's, conventional technologies will continue to be thwarted by "layer cake workarounds" because there has been no viable solution to the complexity (too many moving parts) problem.   How does the layer cake simulate imagination?  aesthetics?   attitudes?   Why is it that software development tools limit the number of concept relationships beyond n-3.  Where are the n-ary capacity software products that can scale to represent human thought? - real knowledge representation.   The revolution is afoot, and those hold fast, who think they can have their cake and eat it to, will find a whole new world that has evolved well before them.

Another issue that has been sidestepped each time it has been brought up, is the issue of how self-consistent logic functions within a quantum world.  How effective can it be??  Yes, at the macro level, self-consistency is essential (engineering, manufacturing, rules of the road, etc.), but at the micro level, there is a world that is ever changing and influenced by a non-logical mind - individual or collective.  As the saying goes, "life will not be denied."   I am wondering, and I am hopeful, this topic will be address by the learned leadership of this excellent forum.

Dennis L. Thomas
Knowledge Foundations, Inc.
Ofc (714) 890-5984
Cell (760) 500-9167
Managing the Complexity of Enterprise Knowledge