Re: [ontolog-forum] Interesting way of using Google

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Dennis L. Thomas" <DLThomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:32:40 -0700
Pat,    (01)

I find myself in a discussion with world class participants - a place
where I am over my head many times over.  This statement was my
attempt to pose a question on a subject I would like to learn more
about.  It is clear, however, that my opportunity to learn is far
better served from the sidelines.    (02)

Best wishes, Dennis    (03)

On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (04)

> Another issue that has been sidestepped each time it has been
> brought up, is the issue of how self-consistent logic functions
> within a quantum world. How effective can it be?? Yes, at the macro
> level, self-consistency is essential (engineering, manufacturing,
> rules of the road, etc.), but at the micro level, there is a world
> that is ever changing and influenced by a non-logical mind -
> individual or collective. As the saying goes, "life will not be
> denied." I am wondering, and I am hopeful, this topic will be
> address by the learned leadership of this excellent forum.    (05)

Let me see if I can focus on what topic exactly you are referring to.    (06)

You mention quantum world and macro/micro. Do you mean to imply that
micro=quantum-scale, and that at that scale, the world is not
self-consistent? If so, do you mean by this, that quantum theory is
not self-consistent, or that the world as described by quantum theory
is not self-consistent? I don't think that either of these are true.
The "quantum world" is indeed what one might call macro-peculiar, in
that it obeys very different physical rules from the macro-world's
physics; but it is not in any sense inconsistent. One can indeed
acquire, with some effort, a quantum-theoretic physical intuition.    (07)

You also refer to the micro level as 'ever changing', which is indeed
true but also seems to be true at the macro level, so I wonder why
you bring it up?    (08)

Finally, you say that micro level is "influenced by a non-logical
mind". What mind are you referring to here, and why is it non-logical?    (09)

Pat Hayes    (010)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)

Dennis L. Thomas
Knowledge Foundations, Inc.
Ofc (714) 890-5984