Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning WebArchitecture and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:36:10 -0400
Azamat,    (01)

That is a terrible assumption that is the cause of our currently
inflexible, limited, fragile systems:    (02)

 > ''A common world model'', or a single global ontology, is a
 > necessary and sufficient condition of powerful intelligent systems.    (03)

It is definitely not necessary, and it is very, very, very far
from being sufficient.    (04)

In fact, one of the major problems of traditional AI systems is
that they are brittle.  And one of the major reasons for the
brittleness is that they can only work with one ontology and
they are incapable of dynamically learning and adapting to new
ontologies.    (05)

If you want to make your systems flexible and powerful, you need
to make them able to learn and adapt to *any* ontology that might
be in use by any system they interoperate with.    (06)

It is far *easier* to design systems to learn and adapt to multiple
ontologies than to design a single universal ontology.    (07)