Re: [ontolog-forum] confounded models

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:37:40 -0500

On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Kathryn Blackmond Laskey wrote:    (01)

<snip>

>> But given Kathy's idea of logical consistency, doesn't it become
>> important that someone who knows about Botony is likely to be
>> thinking
>> more consistently than some non-Botanist thinking about plants?
>> Could
>> be anyone.  Are they all Tarskian at heart?
>
> I didn't say botanists were Tarskian at heart.  At heart they are
> botanists!!!  But if they are logically consistent botanists, I could
> develop an axiom system and Tarskian model that was a pretty good
> approximation to the phenomenonogy of their assertions. That does NOT
> mean it is a good model of their actual throught processes!    (02)

Absolutely! Very important and basic point. To say that someone is
thinking about X is not to say that their thoughts use 'X'.    (03)

Pat
IHMC    (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola       (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502        (850)291 0667   mobile
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (04)