Re: [ontolog-forum] confounded models

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:04:23 -0400
Pat,    (01)

don't know about, or  aren't thinking about Taskian models." You said:    (02)

They may not know about them, but they can still be thinking about
them.  Just as someone who knows nothing of botany can think about
plants.    (03)

This snapped my mind back to yoir exchange below with John     (04)

JS>> I agree that formal model theorists tend to talk that way, but
.> that is not how scientists work.  The model comes first, and
JS>> the axioms are derived from the model.    (05)

Pat>First, I wonder how you can possibly know this.    (06)

I'm sure that you, like John, have a good reason for knowing this, but it would
help me to understand a     (07)

little bit more of why you say this.  Is it that biologist understand something
about the biological language under discussion (there biologocal object
language)  BL, and ther are thinking that any biological definitions have to be
expressed in another language a meta BL?  What is that metalanguage that they
are tinking of?    (08)

And do they intuite that set theory is involved etc..?   Do you mean that
Biology as written in text books is a formal system?    (09)

Well the title of this tread is about being confused about models so perhaps
this fits right in. :-}    (010)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
 http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop
<http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop>
 Executive Secretariat
 Semantic Technology , EM&I    (011)

Herndon VA  20170  703-742-0585    (012)