Re: [ontolog-forum] confounded models

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:13:54 +0200
Kathryn Blackmond Laskey schrieb:
>> However, at any give time science may have alternative explanations
>> about phenomena so we'd have to formalize these also and they are
>> competing theories of truth.
>>
>> Something like "snow is white" "snow is grey" (when it's in the road for
>> a while),  etc.
>>         (01)

Just a minor, but I think  important, remark in relation to what you say
below.    (02)

> A better example:  "Light is a particle" versus "Light is a wave."
>
> Each of those competing theories could be formalized consistently,
> but they were mutually inconsistent.
>
> Quantum theory resolved the inconsistency, and the original theories
> emerge as special cases of the new theory under appropriate
> assumptions.  That is, they aren't inconsistent     (03)

The *original* theories - which have no domain limitations - are still
inconsistent; and will forever be! Only some kind of counterparts to
them  "emerge  as special cases of the new theory".    (04)

Ingvar    (05)

--
Ingvar Johansson
IFOMIS, Saarland University