Re: [ontolog-forum] on a new list of categories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:02:42 -0400
Many thanks for your comments John. You'll be pleased to know, a few
weeks ago in a W3C workshop when Tim BL positioned RDF/OWL as THE WAY, I
gave him more than an earful. He was very gracious about it. When we
talked later, he was a bit defensive, but I recognized his sincere
interest in the discussion.    (01)

more below ...    (02)

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Rick,
>
>  > I've done enough on the owl representation to stimulate
>  > discussion and hope you, and all members of the ontolog forum,
>  > will have time to comment on this work in progress.
>
> There is certainly a lot to discuss.  That paper by Peirce,
> which he published in 1868, is his first stab at a problem
> that which he continued to discuss, elaborate, and clarify
> over the next 46 years.
>
> Peirce certainly made a good stab in his first swing, but
> as I replied to Gary, OWL is a very simple language that
> disguises a lot of underlying assumptions in a verbose
> notation.    (03)

I hope the CL/KIF representation of the manuscript will serve to
illustrate just that. One of my points to Tim was the importance of
differentiating the reasoning services associated with OWL ( DL
reasoners typically provide classification, realization, satisfaction
and consistency) from other reasoning services (unification, resolution,
skolemization and GMP). In addition to your point above, it seems to me
the mismatch between what standard DL reasoning services have to offer
and some naive expectations about THE WAY, is pretty clear.    (04)

Representing this manuscript in OWL and CL/KIF can serve to better
illustrate these important issues.    (05)

> The COE diagram that Pat derived shows the bare
> bones more explicitly, and it makes those uninterpreted
> strings stand out more clearly.
>
> To illustrate the kinds of problems involved, following is
> a note that I sent to the conceptual graph mailing list.
> It illustrates the amount of discussion that can be generated
> by one word, such as 'threaten' or 'to be', or by a seemingly
> simple feature, such as the plural marker '-s'.
>
> I don't want to shut down discussion, but I just want to point
> out that doing justice to the topic would require an immense
> amount.
>     (06)

Considering the timeless nature of the challenge, the ontolog forum can
help make our small contribution sustainable by preserving the record of
the debate, in addition to the work products. Looking forward to your
leadership over the next few decades ...    (07)

--
Best wishes,    (09)

Rick    (010)

email:  rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx