Re: [ontolog-forum] Editor COE view of a new list of categories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:40:38 +0700
I think the 'snow is white' example is interesting from the (knowledge) representation point of view  -
It is to be read in conjunction with the comparison 'schnee ist weiss'
the two statements together show a contrast in representation which express exactly the same meaning using equivalent linguistical artifacts

so the emphasis of this statement is, imho, on the language as representation symbolism of reality, and is not pointing to the reality itself

for once, its the finger instead of the moon that we should be looking at

PDM

On 7/17/07, Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Many people have pointed out that his choice of example was
>unfortunate, since that sentence raises two thorny issues that
>Tarski did not intend to represent in his introductory paper:
>snow as a continuous substance, and the use of a singular noun
>for making a generic statement about all snow.

Not to mention what it means for something to "be" a color.  Are we
talking physics of light absorption? In what kind of light?  Or are
we talking about human perception?

Kathy

Paola Di Maio
School of IT