Re: [ontolog-forum] on a new list of categories

To: rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:42:26 -0400
Rick,    (01)

 > I've done enough on the owl representation to stimulate
 > discussion and hope you, and all members of the ontolog forum,
 > will have time to comment on this work in progress.    (02)

There is certainly a lot to discuss.  That paper by Peirce,
which he published in 1868, is his first stab at a problem
that which he continued to discuss, elaborate, and clarify
over the next 46 years.    (03)

Peirce certainly made a good stab in his first swing, but
as I replied to Gary, OWL is a very simple language that
disguises a lot of underlying assumptions in a verbose
notation.  The COE diagram that Pat derived shows the bare
bones more explicitly, and it makes those uninterpreted
strings stand out more clearly.    (04)

To illustrate the kinds of problems involved, following is
a note that I sent to the conceptual graph mailing list.
It illustrates the amount of discussion that can be generated
by one word, such as 'threaten' or 'to be', or by a seemingly
simple feature, such as the plural marker '-s'.    (05)

I don't want to shut down discussion, but I just want to point
out that doing justice to the topic would require an immense
amount.    (06)

John    (07)