Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:44:35 -0500
>Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
>>
>>  Perhaps we should start building what could be called 'epistemologies',
>>  to avoid the block.  (Indeed, 'KR' have long meant knowledge
>>  representation rather than reality representation.)
>>

>I have ever since I first heard about Knowledge Representation in
>computer contexts thought that it meant:
>*Representations of what is regarded as knowledge*    (01)

Yes, that is the history of the term. AI assumed
that we needed to get something in our machines
that served for them the same role that human
knowledge (or maybe belief) serves (or so it is
thought) for us humans. To encode that stuff in a
machine requires that it be 'represented' in some
way. Hence 'knowledge' + 'representation'.    (02)

>For me, being a realist with a correspondence (or representational)
>theory of truth it then means:
>*Representations of truthlike representations of reality*.
>
>Is this a false inference on my part? If not, then I have no reason
>whatsoever to start to talk about 'Epistemology Representation' instead
>of Knowledge Representation .    (03)

Well, AI has never been as sensitive as
philosophers have been about the distinction
between knowledge and belief, perhaps because AI
has never shared philosophy's traditional concern
with certitude.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>Ingvar
>
>--
>Ingvar Johansson
>IFOMIS, Saarland University
>      home site: http://ifomis.org/
>      personal home site:
>      http://hem.passagen.se/ijohansson/index.html

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)