Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:39:43 -0700
Folks,
   For what it's worth, this is an old debate and I thank Pat for
framing this as an issue that deserves experiment and not debate.  SUMO
has been evolving to integrate concepts in a common ontology as needed
over about 5 years now.  Cycorp has been doing the same for much longer
(protestations about microtheories notwithstanding since the very large
BaseKB is monolithic).  While some folks want to keep claiming a common
ontology is somehow impossible, some of us having been doing the
"impossible" for years.  If it's really impossible, it should be easy to
give a concrete, fully axiomatized example of irresolvable
incompatibility (not English text or hand-waving, but a real formalized
example).  No one has yet done so.    (01)

Adam    (02)