Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:56:09 -0400
I agree with Adam that the existing ontologies of SUMO and OpenCyc may
already have in them the necessary set of defining concepts.  What I
think still needs to be demonstrated (experimentally) is that some
subset of all of those concepts can be used in the recursive-definition
manner I described, and if so I think that will lend some clarity to
the question of where are the *boundaries* of the minimum foundation
ontology that we all need to agree on to get **accurate** semantic
interoperability.  Since this is a major effort in itself, and
following on from the earlier COSMO effort, I have not restricted
myself to concepts from just one ontology, but am using the SUMO and
the OpenCyc, and BFO, and will add in anything anyone thinks is needed
and not present.  In this inclusive project, if different people want
different representations that have the same logically consistent
meaning, they can both be included with translations.  The only valid
reason I can see for objecting to inclusion of something is if it is
logically inconsistent with existing structures; at that point some
discussion will be needed as to whether we can agree on one choice, or
whether it will be necessary to choose one as the default, though both
are included, with the non-default segregated in a separate
'context/microtheory'.  We can burn that bridge when we come to it.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE
260 Industrial Way West